Tuesday 12 August 2014

S J Crafts August Challenge - a Teal Album

You know when you get an idea in your head and it is such a great idea that you just HAVE to do it?  But then you realise the logistics of completing the task in time alongside other last minute projects, and of course normal daily life, are not actually that favourable... but you decide to do it anyway?  Yep, that happened here!  I wanted to make something special for Louis's teacher because she really "got him" and he has really blossomed in her care.  I wanted to say a bigger thank you to her than my normal end of year projects so I decided to make her an album that she could use for her honeymoon photos and ephemera, or even her favourite moments from her wedding, which I knew to have a teal colour scheme.  Sarah's S J Crafts challenge for August was to make something holiday / travel related and to use something old and something new.  So with a week to go before the end of term I set about it..... ahem.....

I used an Ikea album with a snowflake on the front but I don't think its obviously a Christmas album.  I added some bling and ribbon and a butterfly because I used butterflies through the album too.  The chipboard butterfly shape that I used here is about 4 years old... gulp!
I secured some ribbon inside the covers concealed by patterned paper in order to hold the book closed.
Management pointed out that she might not know what to do with the book so I added this little note into a pocket for the inside front cover.  Basically it says "This book is for YOUR story" and explains that she should cover up / tear out anything she wants to so that they can display and record their memories in any way they would like to remember their special time.  Apparently this made the teacher cry because she was so touched!
I wanted something really special for the first page so I used the last scrap of my precious rose ribbon which was a perfect match for her teal colour scheme.
I used papers from the last 5 years and from various manufacturers and collections - it felt good to make a dent in my stash!  Very old alongside very new here!
I tried to echo the papers across each double page and used similar styles throughout the album for continuity as well as using similar gems and shapes and the butterfly motif.
I also added some Project Life cards for a bit of variety and to give her somewhere to add her journalling. These are the newest things that I used because I treated myself to the Jade kit a few weeks ago.   Please excuse the blob on the camera lens - it is not something on the book!!
I also created a few pages without patterned paper, just by stamping all over the page to give her lots of room to add her own touches and photos etc.
These stamps are all from Hero Arts - Stamp Your Story and are a perfect choice for layering and repeating.  I made sure to spread these pages throughout the album for variety.
Here is another "something new" from the S J Crafts Challenge - a new stencil!  The spotty one is new (a couple of days!) and the floral one is old (about 3 years and never been out of the packet...)
The pages in this album are approx 9x9 which is an awkward size when you are trying to do double pages with one piece of 12x12!  This page design using thirds worked really well to get the most out of the papers.
I also spread some bunting throughout the album.  I think it's a really pretty addition especially when it's popped up with foam tape for dimension.
I love this printed leaf effect stamp from the Hero Arts set.
I made a couple of pages with pockets for more journalling / additional photos / leaflets and memorabilia etc.  You can also see the border punch that I used throughout the album for continuity.
For this page I used Distress Ink (Broken China) dabbed through a doily and then used the doily on the facing page.  The book is pre-bound so you don't get a second chance to get things right but it is probably my least favourite layout.
Here is an example of the "thirds" page design flipped on its side.  I think this teal paper from LilyBee's Memorandum is my favourite pattern in the entire album.
This is the centre of the album using up lots of scraps for the banner across the top.  The envelopes can be used for holding whatever, but they also create another pocket behind them too.
When I've done photo-less albums before, I've put in blank photo mounts for people to add their standard sized photos in specific places.  These days though with the ability to take photos on phones, create collages and crop and play around more, there needs to be more flexibility with photo sizes.
With that in mind, I deliberately kept this album free of specific photo spots so that they can add in whatever they want, wherever they want - it is their album for their story after all.
More banners and butterflies and doilies.
More pockets using some PL cards, that border punch, some grey spotted washi tape to reinforce the edges.  Those spiral paper clips were a random purchase from a supermarket!  It's worth keeping your eyes open in all sorts of places for fab touches these days.
Another sponged page and another envelope for bits and bobs.
More bunting - perfect for any sort of celebration I think!
I inked all the edges with the Broken China Distress Ink and I love the way it brings all the pieces together.
It also helps to link the stamped pages to the ones that used patterned papers by adding another element of continuity.
I love these little fold over cards from Project Life - not something I would use on one of my normal pages probably but they are ideal here.
I would love to see this book when it is finished and full of special moments.  I really hope they enjoy looking back on it in years to come and also enjoy the process of creating a memory book of their own special story.
Finally the back pages with a spot for summing up and another little envelope full of labels and cards for them to add in her own time when and where she / they like.
So now its over to you to make something holiday or travel related for the challenge at S J Crafts!  Because it is the summer holidays you have until September 6th to enter your project.

I'm just back from holidays myself and looking forward to getting some of our wonderful memories scrapped.  I shall be around to lots of blogs to say hi again really soon.

Bye for now
xx

5 comments:

  1. WOW that is wonderful - so pretty and so adaptable. She will be THRILLED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm sure it will be treasured for very many years to come. It's a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder she was emotional! What an exceptional gift! Go you..well done! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning - of course, she was touched. Fabulously done! And all the more so for fitting it in when you are really busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder she cried..a very special pressie x x

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for leaving me a message! It always makes me smile when someone stops by and says hello :-)