Wednesday 29 August 2012

WOYWW 169

Happy Wednesday to you all.  This is the last Wednesday of the school holidays here which means that this is my last precious day just with my son, while my girl has her last day at nursery.  It's such a rarity to spend time with just him and me and I have no idea how we will ever manage it again, aside from him being off school poorly (very rare) while she is at preschool.

Today we will be doing some sewing as he has just discovered those pre-hole-punched sewing kits.  We will also be making a little Smash book type thing for him to record his lessons for September as he is going to be joining in with me for Learn Something New Everyday.  I thought it would be a good way to encourage him to write outside of school as he really needs the practise.  He reads beautifully, is okay at mental maths, has a great vocabulary and a wonderful imagination but anything involving using a pen / pencil and everything goes wrong - it's a bit like his brain and his hand are not connected!

I did have a clear up last week after we had both done some crafting and I sorted out my supplies for LSNED and put them in the box on the left there.  The pockets contain pieces of punched owl (we would like to confirm that no owls were harmed in the making of this blog post).


The owls will be used as date markers / journalling tags and I'm sure Louis will want to make some of these too for his own book.  Aren't they cute?!


If you stopped by last week then you will know about the mystery of the hospital tags.  Well I solved that by asking a lovely friend who was also a stand-by independent midwife for me at the time and she said NHS midwives issues them in case the baby needs to be admitted at all.  I did wonder if that was the case as they hadn't been worn, just filled in.  Still no idea why they were in the car 3 years later though!

Well that's my desk revealed for the week, how about you?  Care to share your crafting space?  Link up with the Queen of the Desks Miss Julia and let other creative types have a nosy too.

Bye for now
xx

20 comments:

  1. Loving the owl! I haven't had any emails about LSNED this year, have i missed them or has Shimelle not sent any yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for LSNED to begin as well. I am waiting for paper to arrive as well!

    That owl is gorgeous, I love that idea.

    See you in class! Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy your day, hard when they go to school my two boys go back on tues and little Lucy and i will miss them!
    have a great week trace x 48

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that your boy will be joining in with you for LSNED. He (and you) will not be short of new experiences for the journal. Loving your owls as always :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. enjoy your day with your boy! don't worry too much about the writing thingy....with three boys, two of which are left handed, we have been through this and it does all come together in the end x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boys simply mature later than girls with the fine motor skills..my two were exactly the same. In fact a major achievement on Son No 1's report was an improved ability to sit still on the carpet!! And he's now starting his 2nd year at Cardiff Uni!! So don't beat your self up, it will happen when he's ready :)
    DH and I have always taken our boys out separately for days out - it was quality time together with no bickering and they both looked forward to it. Perhaps you could do that with Louis to keep that 1-1 time with him.
    Hugs, LLJ ~71 xx
    PS That little owl is super CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the owls, I've always avoided those multi piece punches but I'm quite liking him.

    If son is having a smash type LSNED, do you know what you will be using?

    ** Kate **

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are having a lovely time with your son, Lisa. He obviously takes after his crafty Mum.
    Love those cute little owls. I might have to track that punch down.
    Have fun and Happy WOYWW
    Hugs Lisax #93

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got to agree with Jan - and as an ex infants teacher - boys often find putting pencil to paper difficult. They get there eventually - especially when they are writing about things that interest them and for a purpose. Your idea for the book project is great. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. How great to have some crafting time together with your son! I'm sure all this will encourage him to play (and eventually write) so creatively... Happy WOYWW!
    Alison x
    #99

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do remember the hospital tags. I thought maybe you were stealing babies in your spare time. Good to have that mystery solved. Your desk space it looking so nice and tidy. I mean, sure mine is nice right now but don't breath too deeply or else things will come popping out all over. The owls are cute. I like him with the patterned paper on his body.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very tidy desk... for the last time this year I bet I know how your son feels I often think my brain isn't connected to anything at all.. its full of the 7 shades of Wee as Julia puts it!!
    have a good week
    janet #61

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those owls are so cute! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you enjoyed your day with your son. I like the idea of a smashbook for them...My son would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your cute little owl.
    Hugs,
    A x #68

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, super-cute owls! Is Shimelle taking new sign ups for 2012?

    Thanks for stopping by....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boys and writing? I don't know how we have so many talented male writers when it is so difficult to get boys to write!
    My son had the verbal ability of a 20 year old when he was 12 according to some testing he had done but the writing ability of a 9 year old! Talk about big swings
    Just make it fun as I'm sure you will and don't stress it will all work out in the end

    Take care

    Jaki in Norfolk!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you enjoyed your crafty day with your son...am still not sure if I'm going to do LSNED
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there Lisa Jane, ah am running late but hey WOYWW goes a whole week you know!! and yes those owls are simply fab - looooove them! (and what you did with them up above - the benefit of being late- you see more!) and hope your day with your son was equally fab! :D Thanks so much for popping over and thanks for sharing ~ happy WOYWW! Shaz in Oz. x #28

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your space is so neat and tidy. I am sure you and your son had a fabulous time. I really like those cute little owls.
    Having him join in the learn something new exervise is such a good idea, I think I might encoutage my grandies to do the same.
    Happy very belated WOYWW!
    Tertia #49

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thanks for leaving me a message! It always makes me smile when someone stops by and says hello :-)